22 Sep Metal v. Tile Roofs: What Are The Benefits?
When choosing between steel and tile roofing, both options have their advantages and disadvantages. Whether your priorities lie in durability, aesthetics or the best combination of both, Universal Roof & Contracting can give you the information you need to make an informed decision.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of going with steel or choosing tiles for your roof. Here’s a concise breakdown of the benefits of each option.
- Durability and Longevity Steel roofs can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years, depending on the quality. They’re resistant to rust, insects, mildew, and rot.
- Weight Steel is lighter than tile, which can reduce stress on a home’s structure.
- Safety Steel doesn’t spark and ignite into flames during a wildfire or lightning strike. Steel is also resistant to winds well over 100+ miles per hour, making steel an excellent choice here in Florida when building with hurricane preparedness in mind.
- Efficiency Metal reflects radiant heat from the sun, which can help in reducing cooling costs in our hot Florida climate.
- Variety Modern steel roofing can be designed to resemble other materials, including tiles, shingles – even wood!
Tile Roofing (Clay or Concrete)
- Aesthetics Tile roofs have a traditional, sophisticated look that many homeowners appreciate, especially in Mediterranean or Spanish-style homes.
- Lifespan When properly maintained, tile roofs can last over 100 years.
- Fire Resistant Tiles are non-combustible, offering another level of fire protection for the home. Roof tiles are also resistant to high winds, which is necessary in most areas of Florida.
- Environmentally Friendly Tiles are made from earth minerals, not chemicals, and can be ground up and recycled when they’re no longer in use.
Choosing steel or tile roofing as an option largely depends on personal preferences, budget, and the environmental conditions of the location. If long life, traditional aesthetics, and environmental factors are priorities, tiles might be the way to go. However, if you’re looking for durability, energy efficiency, and lighter weight, steel might be the better choice.
Universal Roof & Contracting can offer advice and recommendations when it comes to what option is best for you. Ultimately both options are excellent choices. Contact us when you are ready for the next step. We offer FREE inspections, FREE estimates and with over 30 years experience serving the Central Florida and greater Jacksonville communities you can count on Universal Roof & Contracting to help you with your roofing questions. Give us a call at 855-ROOF-HELP or contact us online. You’ll find the difference is Universal!