10 Oct In The House – Lake Mary Healthy Living Magazine
Cooler weather, shorter days and autumn leaves are all welcome reminders that this year’s holiday season is just around the corner. Along with the holidays come family gatherings, favorite foods and festive parties. Preparing your home for entertaining and extended visits may require a room remodel, makeover or upgrades that will welcome friends and leave a lasting impression on your guests.
A stylish kitchen remodel with updated appliances and good traffic flow creates an inviting gathering place and will lessen your work during the busy holiday season. Upgrade your guest bath with tech-savvy features in a soothing color palette that will not only pamper and restore travel-weary visitors but save you money this holiday with eco-friendly, efficient replacements. You may consider several smaller projects in addition to a complete room renovation to achieve a total interior facelift that will make your holiday guests feel right at home.
The Kitchen, the Heart of Your Home
To create a comfortable kitchen that meets your entertaining style as well as your family’s everyday needs, discuss with your contractor some specific goals. Here are some ideas you may consider:
• Create plenty of open space with good flow for entertaining.
• Add a breakfast nook and/or an island to accommodate casual dining and family activities.
• Invest in durable, quality materials like hardwood cabinetry, quartz counter tops and hand-scraped engineered-wood floors for lasting use. Include energy-efficient appliances and purposeful fixtures for added usefulness.
• Coordinate colors, materials and décor to achieve a transitional and timeless design. Many contractors partner with designers or have in-house design teams that can offer you help during the planning and final stages of your project.
Creative Bath Ideas
Remodeling your guest bathroom extends a personal welcome to relatives and friends.
• Updated fixtures and stylish surfaces in durable designer favorites like granite or quartz refresh the space and invite guests into a relaxing atmosphere.
• Add smart features like touch screen options for temperature and water control, or music and lighting to provide a real getaway experience.
Home & Hearth, Fireplace Facelifts
Family gatherings, hot cocoa and festive music are always cozier beside the crackling warmth of a beautiful fireplace. Some simple changes incorporating clean lines and classic elements to your fireplace wall can transform your living room into an inviting and comfortable area.
• Remove old materials and repaint the wall around the fireplace in light, complementary tones to create a clean palette.
• Resurface or replace mantle and fireplace surround using classic materials like Carrara marble, rich hardwood, ceramic tile or cast stone.
• Consider coupling function with form by adding a wall-mount flat-screen television and shelving, using clean lines to create a contemporary entertainment center. Add surround-sound speakers and smart technology to maximize the experience.
• Finish the room with recessed can lights while using décor or hardware similar to adjacent rooms to provide stylish continuity and flow.
Winter Outdoor Entertaining
Why not take the party outside? Even in cooler weather, a few cozy additions will expand your living space and take the chill off while adding to the holiday fun.
• A backyard fire pit with plenty of comfy outdoor chairs will create a festive focal point for creating memories with songs, stories and s’mores. Transform your yard and incorporate a built-in pit, complete with decking or pavers, into your outdoor landscaping. Or keep it simple and make a small investment in a portable fire pit which are plentiful this time of year at department or big box stores.
• Consider using patio heaters to extend your comfortable living space outside. They create warmth and ambiance, are available in full or tabletop sizes and are priced starting at less than one hundred dollars.
These simple upgrades and refreshing remodels will add comfort and value to your home and make staying in a pleasure. So get a jump on winter this fall and start creating your holiday memories today.
Listen every Sunday at 2pm to “In the House with Ken & Jared” on WDBO’s News Talk FM96.5. Visit us online or call now for a free estimate on your next Home Improvement Project: 407-295-7403.
Go HERE for more from Lake Mary Healthy Living Magazine. After photography by SLR ProShots.